1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged write a blog post about their own 8 random things and post these rules.
3. At the end of your blog you need to tag 8 people and post their names.
4. Don't forget to leave them a comment and tell them they're tagged, and to read your blog.
So here are my 8 random things:
1. I always use the real swear word when retelling a story or something I overheard. I hate using the "f word" or some other way to say fuck, it gives the word too much power and makes me feel like a small child. I think swear words are ugly and prefer not to use them. While we would rather our kids not use them we don't ban them from doing so as quite frankly we have much bigger battles to fight. We have rules about their use; never directed at anyone, no racial, sexist or other nasty hurtful names, not in front of Grammy, and always in the right context. For example "no darling, it is not I hate the fuck Yankees, it is I hate the fucking Yankees", and no the Yankees aren't "someone" they are an evil force apparently, so I am told. This is where I think other families get weird, their kids are absolutely forbidden from saying shit but they can call each other "sissy girls" or "don't be gay". Weird.
2. I absolutely suck at milking goats. Cows I haven't tried and nor do I plan to. This was when I went through my "must make all the cheese/butter/yogurt for the family". Thank god I woke up from that insanity.
3. I don't really like the term wife and husband, we use the term partner with each other and when we refer about the other in public. It drives my father in law crazy. He used to call me "the mother of Ted's child" when he introduced me to others (before we were legally married).
4. I now use the American term for a toilet - a bathroom. It irritates the hell out of my Grandma. It confuses other kiwis, they think I want to take a shower at their house. When did I get so prudish. "Could I use your toilet?" seems so rude.
5. When I am president of the world chocolate and peanut butter combined will be banned. Completely outlawed. I am sorry but I am deaf to all pleas and yes I have tried it, even under the influence of liquor and I despise it. I like peanut butter, I like chocolate but together - vomit.
6. I have never, ever done any illegal drugs, even pot, not even a puff. This seems to make me odd in most circles, even inspires pity. It is really very simple. When I was a kid my mum told me that it is all very well and fine to play around with drugs but if I got caught and convicted I would be unable to leave New Zealand as most other countries won't allow someone with a drug conviction to enter. That took care of any temptation I may have had. You don't muck around with the freedom to travel.
7. I cannot stand being called a girl. I am okay with it if you would use the term boy for a man. For example: "I think I will meet the girls/boys for a coffee", tongue in cheek, cutesy like. However if you come in and say "the girl is here to do your taxes" and in walks a woman, well..... I think it is rude and disrespectful. I also get cranky with women who tell me that they want to be called a girl because then they feel young (and giggly, and not worthy of respect, and immature, and immaterial). Damn it haven't we have come far enough to be proud of our years and experience! My 4 year old is a girl but I am 37 and I am a woman.
8. Ted and I once lived in a blue VW bus for a year in Australia. Just travelling from beach to beach "freedom camping", picking fruit, painting houses, carving a driftwood chess set. We still have the chess set, now my son plays with it.
I tag Stella, Liz Knits, Faith, Yarns in the Farms, Kathleen, (I ran out of possible candidates so 5 will have to suffice, this meme has been everywhere!) - sorry kids spill your guts.