Monday, 1 October 2007

So wrong, so very very wrong..........

How can I go from this:



To this within a few weeks:


And that is not all. I have what I like to call my mending basket (it should be known as the black hole) and in it I have 5 pairs of socks, all made of Socks that Rock, all with holes within a short time of completion. I think I must be a slow learner.

Is it just me or does this yarn not stand up? Or am I just really hard on my socks? I want to go on to the Socks that Rocks Ravelry group and ask but I am too scared that I might be thrown out of that town real fast. Okay I am not too scared, I just haven't got around to it. Well maybe I am a little scared, socks that rock groupies are rabid, I remember them from Stitches West.




It would break my heart to throw them away so now I am attempting to darn them, not easy stuff I tell you, especially since the hole is so big. I don't like this darning business so much. Another reason to be pleased summer is around the corner...........

3 comments:

Diantee said...

Hi, perhaps you can try a slip-stitch heel - they are supposed to be stronger. I've got some Socks that Rock lightweight which I haven't used yet so hopefully it doesn't got into holes.

knottygnome said...

i haven't had holes yet, but i'm not happy with how my mediumweight socks are wearing. they faded a great deal after the first wash and they have fuzzed up. and i am the world's tightest knitter, so i know that knitting too loosely is not an issue.

honestly, pair the poor wearing with the pooling, and i think that STR is overrated. there's so many other sock yarns out there.

Diana said...

I know what you are going through! I have a basket of socks that need darning but the lesson I've learned is to always carry a thread of wool/nylon in the heel and toes. If the yarn does not have a nylon content and for me even if it does I still use the reinforcing thread. Woolworks has some and so does elann.com but only black.
http://www.woolworks.com/Knitting/Yarn/Socks/MendingThread/MendingThread.html
Hope that helps.