Thursday, 26 July 2007

Monster Rug.

Finally he is laid to rest......




.....About 150 t-shirts later and it is done.




This was a mammoth project but well worth it in the end. I love it. It is warm, cushy and cosy. Many of the t-shirts used were no longer wearable, with holes and many stains so it is a wonderful way to recycle. The entire rug was done in single crochet with a big mother of a hook (here is my crochet ignorance - how do you measure hooks if you don't have a hole thingee? What part is measured?).


Excuse the space, it has not yet been renovated. And watch that chair, it is next on the upholstery block! (Ooooh springs....)

This has been a big part of my creative time lately, along with the blanket. I may have to take a break from the blanket soon. I knit and knit and yet there are still more squares to go! I now see why crochet blankets are more popular (and sensible). I did cast on for the monkey socks but changed my mind on the yarn. It is a handwash only cashmere sock yarn, it didn't take me long to realise the folly of handwash socks in this household! I think I will save that yarn for something else. Anyway hopefully I will have some more interesting knitting going on around here soon.

6 comments:

Deneen said...

Wonderful! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

That's one heck of a project! Kudos to finding something good and fun to do with all those old shirts, though. Waste not, want not, as they say.

Now I want to make a t-shirt rug of my own. I wonder if I have enough old shirts to make something in a decent size.

Emily said...

Whoa! That's amazing. Did you have that whole thing on your lap while you were working it? Because that's a lot of rug!

Stell said...

that is an amazing rug, and i can see why it didn't come along to knit nite. I am blown away by the intense colours, i had expected old tees to be faded - but no very bright.

Slip Slip said...

The rug is fabulous. You are simply brilliant. How did you manage to hold the entire rug as you worked or did you just sit on the floor with it?

It is hard to imagine you in the midst of wintertime as we are enjoying a beautiful Beverly, MA, USA summer. Stay cozy in your warm hand knits. You are always in our thoughts at Yarns In The Farms!

Go Red Sox!

Tanya said...

Thank you all for such great comments! You have to get down and dirty with this one. There is no pulling this sucker on to your lap. You just crawl around the floor working on it, about as much fun as it sounds!